13 Aug 2014

My Dearest....

.... Daughter,


People say your life changes after you have a baby. They say that, apart from the complete change in the focal point of life, one starts to live for the baby. I wonder if that is true – I find it difficult to care about most people beyond a certain level, I can’t picture myself giving my everything up for anyone else other than my own mother. I wonder how much I will love you, whether I will be any good at it.

What is the world like when you are reading this? Right now, I hear news – the Fifty Shades of Grey trailer, BeyoncĂ©’s song; flights being shot down, disappearing; people, societies, cultures being bombed out of existence, massive corrosion in safety to human lives…. Yes, that IS the order of our priorities. Has anything changed? Become better? ....Worse? I pray not.

Forget the world for now – we are capable of being truly ignorant of how insignificant our individual lives are in the face of the bigger picture, so let’s make use of that talent – tell me about you. What are you like? Do you look anything like me? Do you like to read? Dance? Or are you more like your Father? Do you pick out tomato peels from food like your Uncle? Do you sneeze explosively like your great Grandpa? Do you know how to ride a bike? What are your favorite subjects? Do you love English like I do? Whoever you are, remember that you are the best you, possible. It is easy to get caught in a society full of comparison, trying to be better than this person at this and that person at that. But, trust me, just like we all have unique thumb prints, we all are so very unique that trying to better someone at something will only be like pitting oranges against cows. Unless you are setting world records.

Also, always remember to say “thank you” and “please” and then smile afterward. People might laugh at you, for believing in such supposedly outdated manners, but being nice never hurt anyone and never cost anything. And keep in mind that your aukaad is shown, not in how you treat your seniors or your peers, but in how you treat those who are beneath you. Waiters are not there for your convenience, rickshaw drivers are not your personal drivers and nobody in this world is yours to order around. Humility and politeness are two forgotten traits that both your mother and your grandmother are determined to inculcate in our offspring.

By the way, little one, do you know that there is a theory that we were born of stars? That we are made of stardust? How truly awe-inspiring is that? To know that we are truly precious. The theory fascinates me to no end. But if I love you as much as I am supposed to, I’m sure I’ll think everything you are made of is better than stardust itself. 

By now, I’m sure you have heard my holier-than-thou litany about how I don’t believe in religion. And yet, we pack up and go to Church on Sundays, we walk around temples and the nav grahas, you see me fasting and whatnot. Don’t be confused. Always remember that you are but a tiny, very tiny (but cute), part of humanity and that there is always a higher power to surrender to. That the God we say resides in us is that conscience that pricks when you put a foot forward on the wrong path. Abide by that, and with our blessings, you will never go wrong.

Take care of yourself, won’t you? It is okay to go nuts once in a while. But live healthy, mind AND body. With family history of a wide spectrum of diseases, it is important that you treat the body that God has given you right. It is the only body you have and if you damage it with as much Coke and fries as your mother has, you will have to face the consequences yourself – there IS no spare.

Fall in love as many times as you want. But marriage is for life, so choose wisely. Having a boy around might be fun but unless you are independent and strong, it is easy to lose your own identity in the relationship. Respect yourself. Very important. But don’t take yourself too seriously – you should always be able to laugh at yourself. And never, ever, ever toy with anybody’s emotions. Breaking someone’s heart will hurt you more than anything else can.  

Being alive is not an easy feat, my love. Life constantly throws googlies at you to test you – there will be highs so high that euphoria will go to your head and there will be lows so low that you will just want to give up. At some points, life will be a breeze but at most points, every single day will be a struggle to just get through. But regardless of which point you are at, keep in mind this too shall pass. It’s gotten me through some tough times. And never forget that I will always, always be there – you can come to me for anything without fear of judgment or consequences. We will ride the storm out together, if that’s what you want.

And whatever you do, however you live, you must always be able to do two things:
1)    Look yourself in the eye in the mirror and sleep a good night’s sleep.
2)    Never be ashamed of owning up to who you really are, in front of anybody. 

I promise I will try and give you the very best of everything I possibly can. Promise me you will be the best you, you can possibly be.

So much to say, so little time… I now realize that a lifetime is not enough to prepare you for life.

Lots of love,
Your Mother, when she was 24.

35 comments:

  1. This was straight from your heart, PeeVee. So much warmth. Such wise words. Your daughter is going to be a lucky person :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you, love...
      I wish I had the same confidence in myself :/

      Delete
  2. awwwww lovely advice

    needed so much to hear all of this...n u vl b a great mom Pee Vee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God... this is the best post I have read in the recent times...! so touching and so good.. I am going to send the link to a few Mom friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am going to bookmark this and probably send it to my kid some years down the lane.

    But then again, this is not only for the next gen, a lot of the points mentioned are also relevant for the present gen, if I am not wrong. It is never too late to learn or change or do whatever we want to. Right ?

    Btw, AWESOME piece of work.
    Cheers.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :) Thank you so much, Ajay...
      Yes, very applicable to current generation as well...

      Delete
  5. "I promise I will try and give you the very best of everything I possibly can."

    You just lived your promise in this letter itself, PeeVee :) Fantabulous piece of writing !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who are we? Just a speck of dust within the galaxy :)
    Beautiful post PeeVee! So honest. So real! Overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...this is so touching.... wish every mother would do this. Loved it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Peevee. Thanks for writing this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entirely my pleasure. And I should probably add that a certain joey-mommy picture inspired me a wee bit as well <3

      Delete
  9. Can I just save this post and show it to my daughter? Please? Every single word matches my mind waves.

    Brilliant one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really would be an honor, K :D
      Thank you so much..

      Delete
  10. PeeVee, this was beautiful. Full of warmth and love.
    You are going to make a great Mother and you're little one is going to be extremely proud of you. :)

    Heartfelt and so honest. Loved it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw NAMASTE to everyone I meet...even in south india. I am made fun of but my mommy says I should continue doing that.
    I read your letter in her voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so proud of you for that. You have no idea how much.

      We give up a lot when we change habits that parents teach us to "fit in".

      Delete
  12. Awww...that is so sweet...Hope your daughter could read all this one day and smile to herself...See how she has shaped up! Cute post, PeeVee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am awestruck by the deep meaning of this, lovely and emotional read :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. quite touching.... I am sure you will have a great motherhood..and she wll be lucky enough to have ur warmth and love

    ReplyDelete
  15. How very beautiful. You say it so well.. I'd love reading this to my future daughter as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be honored if you do :) Thanks for dropping by, Pepper, hope the chocolate worked its magic for you.

      Delete
  16. Such a beautiful and honest post. Loved reading it. :-)

    PS: I couldn't help but notice how in the post and in most comments people want a daughter. A very good thing but still slightly gender biased don't you think.?? Or is it only me.?? :P

    PPS: I myself want a daughter too. I have all these scenarios imagined where my child is a girl. I have never or rarely imagined how I would act as a father to a son or bring him up. And everytime I think that way I throw a mind punch at myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always enjoy reading your writings. I really do.
    It was a lovely, very lovely post.
    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow...dz z 1 of d best posts I have read till today.Each n every word is just amazing n so inspiring too.gr8 post dear...;-)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, you can say it.