15 Apr 2014

M- Medicines




Thanks to Mom and her ideas about what her children should eat and how their eating habits should be, I have always been as strong as a horse. Till now, i-e. 2014 which is the second year of me living by myself. 

Time and again, I have fallen ill and I have discovered that I am horrible at taking care of myself. Case in point: Despite a throat infection, I will go ahead and order two very icy ice teas. And anyone who tries to prevent me will either get a compelling puppy face or a temper tantrum. End result being an extra course of medicines and pain for me.

My deceptively colorful tonsil medicines

But though my trysts with typhoid this February or my affair with tonsillitis last week have not gotten me down mentally or psychologically, I now understand why my dear uncle and mum sign off every conversation with ‘take care of your health, that is most important.’ Because the moment you fall sick, your ability to do everything and anything comes to a standstill. You can have a billion dollars in the bank, a happening career, a great relationship, a wonderful bunch of friends, the most accomplished children, breath-taking beauty…. but without health, all of this is pointless. And that, in itself, is something that can send you spiraling into depression. 

Also, along with all the crap that you have brought on yourself (at least in my case), you put the people you love and care about through the ordeal of seeing you sick and helpless, not to mention all the additional work of taking care of an invalid (I know these people love us and care about us, it is no work for them at all but nurturing someone back to health is no joke) and for me, this is the worst part of the sickness. 

Well, hopefully, I have learnt my lesson and more healthy food will replace the double-cheese-extra-spicy-Bringa-special sandwiches (that I make in the office pantry, you should try it sometime) and hopefully, I won’t have to answer any more of the doctor’s uncomfortable questions because the helplessness that comes with being sick has truly shaken me out of my limbo. 

No more pretty looking tablets for me, thank you very much. No matter how pretty they are. 

31 comments:

  1. hahaha ...They are not Pretty for me .They Yuckkkk.I try gharelu nuskhe more often than taking pills and they help most of the times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I wish they worked for me. Or rather I had the patience to try them :/

      Delete
    2. They shall work for you too..Natural should be the way of Life.I m spreading my GYAAN LOL

      Delete
  2. The only part I like of getting sick is the 'sevaa' everyone does for me! It amuses me and makes me feel so special. But I have a habit of falling sick at the wrong time, so that sevaa is served with lots of scolding too :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, I like that part too :P But then I end up feeling bad for making them work so much :/

      Delete
  3. I HATE tonsillitis...bleah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. I hope you're feeling better. Getting sick is the pits.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really is. I'm much better, thank you, Liz! :)

      Delete
  5. I hope you are fine now! I do not fall sick often apart from the migraines I get. Popping pills is something I hate, but well, you have to survive!

    Get well soon, love! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow never had a problem with pills but being unable to swallow is where I draw my line. Ugh. Thaaanks :*

      Delete
  6. Nooo do take care of you!!! But how can you let go of double-cheese-extra-spicy-Bringa-special sandwiches :(

    P.S- I was not getting notifications of your blog updates. Now boom I got notifications for all that I missed together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my point! They. Are. So. YUM. </3

      Maybe because I posted all of them together? :/

      Delete
  7. This after Masala Lemonade!?
    I'm crazy about my health... take awful lot of care. Things keep happening though. So don't get too serious but yeah.. icy ice tea is like the worst thing you can do to yourself when you are coughing so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee...
      I wish I were like you, I would have saved myself the trouble :/
      So true and I realized it late. Sigh.

      Delete
  8. i cannot afford to get sick at all!!! with two little ones to take care of, and a husband that tours like crazy, no one will take care of poor me, if i fall sick!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow... You sound like my mum, when we were smaller, she also used to push on despite having a headache or something because she had to take care of the rest of us. I'm so proud of her for having such strength and I'm so proud of you too :) Inshallah, you will never fall ill :)

      Delete
  9. Health is most important. I hope you will feel better. Hot milk with honey calms the throat. I like it but some shriek at the idea. I would always get sick but I now take vitamins plus I am eating healthier due to my wonderful hubby as I will find anything else to do but cook. Hopefully you are on the road to recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, Birgit, thank you very much. And the next time, I'm trying the hot milk idea, sounds real good to me.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry to hear you have been sick. Typhoid! Kind of a big deal. Hope the rest of the year is filled with good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Debra :)

      Delete
  11. Lol I cant stand medicine. It's home remedies for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we all get well and stay well! :)

      Delete
  12. I used to get bronchitis every year, but it stopped when I retired. Now the most I get is a cold. So I'm pretty sure most of my illnesses came not from icy iced teas but other people's germs or maybe the weather. Good luck staying healthy!
    Lexa Cain’s Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were you a teacher? Might have been an allergy to chalk or something. Anyway, its all in the past :) Glad that you are well again :) And thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  13. True story, without health everything else becomes useless. The helplessness that accompanies is the most horrible part of it. You will feel like you can't do anything, even just lie down for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Falling sick when you are away from home is a nightmare. I got malaria and jaundice in the first 2 years away from home. Not being able to do anything by yourself and depending on others for everything is the worst.. aft tht it has been 6 years away from home and except the occasional fever and cold I have not got anything else :) :) Hope you have good health too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You went on a commenting rampage girl! Thank you so much :)

      Ouch! Two of the major ones in two years? That gotta have been bad :/ So glad that everything is fine now <3 And thanks :)

      Delete
  15. I chewed lysine pills last year and 3 teeth were traumatized and the dentist really wanted to pull them. So I now have a pill splitter. Pills can be hard to swallow. I don't like pills. Liquid stuff is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much better, I agree. But what if there aren't too many alternatives?

      Thanks for dropping by, Charlotte :)

      Delete

Go on, you can say it.