28 Apr 2014

X - Xyrophobia



As a child, I was terrified. Terrified that I would displease Father somehow and be punished for it. He wouldn’t yell or scream or take out his belt to flay my tender skin. 

My father had a special punishment for me.

He would go deathly quiet and sit at his table. He would ask me go and stand by the chair and ask me to hold out my hand. He would put his legs around mine and lock his feet behind my knees to prevent me from running away.

This went on for years.

Then he would take out the 7 o’ clock blade from under his stationary box and start running its edge on the side of my palm. One long slice, not enough to cause any serious damage but enough to drain a few fat drops of blood and leave a lasting mark. By the second slice, I would be hyperventilating, choking on my own tears and begging his mercy for eating that extra slice of bread from the fridge.

This went on for years.

And every time I would cry out for my mother amidst the pain that scarred my very soul. If only she were around. I never told anyone for fear that he will give me up – somehow I chose this over a life of being an orphan but my recurring scars had their own tale to tell.

This went on for years.

In the eyes of the world, we were the quiet, grieving widower and distraught son but in the security of the home we shared brought out the monster and the victim. I never had any friends, never made any for fear that my secret would be exposed and I would be ridiculed at – so I was always that weird child in the corner who nobody liked, not even the teachers.

This went on for years.

Till the day they found him dead in his bed, his body covered with deep cuts, his neck hacked at repeatedly and his wrists almost severed off. An empty pack was on the stool beside and bloody seven o’clock blades strewn all over the floor.



P.S: You’d be surprised at how many sadistic parents are out there. You’d be surprised at how many children suffer punishment in the most painful of forms and grow up believing it is their fault. You’d be surprised at the number of psychologically messed up men and women these children turn into.



10 comments:

  1. Wow!! The father deserved it, totally ! What a beast!

    Loved the way you have written it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get to read about such people often in news ... but it's so difficult to comprehend ... how can one treat his/her own child like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? But the thing is, we have been blessed with parents so good that we aren't even able to comprehend the ugly side. I guess we should count our blessings :)

      Delete
  3. OMG! This is so scary, I had never thought that such parents could exist, the kind which derives pleasure from the pain of their own kids. Gave me the shivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the kind of psychopaths who mess up the society with their craziness but damaging beautiful, innocent children :(

      Delete
  4. Sigh. SO many such real life stories, I've lost count..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a harsh reality, Priyanka. My heart goes out to the little child. While sexual abuse at the hands of parents is spoken of, this sort of sadism is sometimes ignored.
    I loved the refrain in your piece here. Salutes to the message that you wish to convey !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much. If it helps raise awareness in even one person, I shall consider my purpose served. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Go on, you can say it.